11 мая 2014 г.

Prinz Savoyen Dragoons

This dragoon regiment was created on February 7 1682 during the reign of emperor Leopold I. Its Inhaber (owner) was colonel Johann Heinrich count Kuefstein zu Gillenstein who also assumed command of the unit.


As early as July 31 1683, the regiment was involved in an engagement on the Hillenberg. Two months later, on September 12, it was part of the Austrian contingent, under the command of the duke Karl von Lothringen, when the army of John III Sobieski liberated Vienna from the besieging Turkish army. During the campaign of 1684, the regiment took part to the siege and battle of Ofen. The same year, the prince Eugene of Savoy, who had distinguished himself as colonel during the relief of Vienna, became Inhaber of the regiment. In 1685, the regiment was at the battle of Gran. In 1686, it took part to the second siege of Ofen and to the expedition in Lower Hungary. In 1687 at the battle of Mohacs, it was first kept in the entrenchments. Cornet count Sinzendorf threw himself in the thickest of the fighting. He had two horses killed under him and was wounded twice. He then pursued the Turks for an hour before finally dying from his wounds. On September 6 1688, at the storming of Belgrade, the regiment was among the first to penetrate into the fortress.

In 1689, the regiment fought on the Rhine. In 1691, it was transferred to the Italian theatre of operation where it took part to the engagement near Turin. In 1693, the regiment was at the battle of Marsaglia in Piedmont. In 1695, it took part to the siege of Cassale.

In 1697, the regiment was back to Hungary to fight the Turks. It took part to the battle of Zentha.


At the beginning of the War of the Austrian Succession, the regiment was assigned to the corps under the command of count Palffy. In 1742, it took part to the winter expedition in Upper Austria and Bavaria. In the night of January 15, the Franco-Bavarian occupied Linz. On January 16, the regiment attacked them and put them to flight, capturing a large part of the enemy troops. In September, the regiment was operating against the French in northern Bohemia as part of corps of the archduke of Tuscany. On February 8 1743 at the battle of Campo Santo, the regiment was deployed on the left wing under the command of count Beyersberg. In 1744, it took part to the enterprise against Naples and to the attack on the Spanish camp at Velletri. In 1746, it was at the battle of Piacenza where it was deployed on the right wing along Schmerzing and Portugal cuirassiers. They broke throught the Spanish infantry, capturing several men. The same year, the regiment took part to the battle of Rottofreno. At the end of the war, in 1748, it took its quarters in Lombardy. In 1749, it was stationed in Hungary.

During the Seven Years' War, the regiment inhaber was:
from 1736 to 1773: Ferdinand Karl count von Aspremont-Linden

N.B.: From 1736, contrarily to the other regiments of the Austrian Army who were known by the name of their owner, this regiment kept the name of the illustrious general who owned it from 1683 to 1736: Eugen Franz Prinz Savoyen. (Prince Eugène).

During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was commanded by:
since 1752: Franz count Hallwyl
1756: Joachim count Gourcy
from 1758 to 1771: Alexander baron Berlichingen

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий